Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sky, Wood, Warmth, Paths, & Prayers

Yesterday's Saturday Sky


Wood

Kim, my wonderful husband of almost 27 years, has been busy with his lathe the past week or two. He works with wood and his lathe when he's feeling well enough and his creativity and skill keeps growing. I'm so very proud of his talent and of his gentle and caring heart, strong convictions, and Christian commitment. He's been the biggest earthly blessing in my life...followed closely by our two children. The Lord's blessings truly cause my cup to runneth over.

Here are some of his recent nostepinnes that will be available for purchase in some of the local yarn shops soon.


Warmth

As our temps drop, and the Eastern European temps drop even further and more quickly, my CIC knitting has been on track. The current CIC list challenge for sweaters has me happily knitting children's sweaters.

I completed this sweater night before last.


Then I immediately cast on another.


I had planned on knitting 3 CIC sweaters for the current challenge, but I'm way ahead of my estimated knitting time, so I think I'll do more than just these three. The current sweater is being knit in Lamb's Pride Bulky and is knitting very quickly. The yarn is lucious and I plan on using it frequently.

Paths

The lessons learned on a farm from the animals are too numerous to count. I've always loved animals and welcomed their presence....even yearned for them when none were near. Thankfully, Kim loves animals, too.

Our dachshunds are very smart (well, most of the time). They know where the best hunting areas are, where to avoid stickers, they prefer to stay dry and avoid going out when it's raining, but love to jump in and lounge in their water bowls on hot days.

This year we have had an extended drought. Our dachshunds preferred paths are now very evident all over our farm. There's a well defined path around the house, to the barn, to the front pond, to the back pasture, to the garage, to their favorite shade trees, and anywhere else they choose to frequently venture.



Our dachsies conserve energy by taking their paths, which are always the most direct route and shortest distance to where they want to go. It is also the path of greatest safety .... sticker and burr free and best view of their surroundings. Also, they usually like to travel together.


A very important part of canine training and care is to teach them to *come* when called. This is essential for their safety and a requirement for any responsible canine owner. Especially since dachshunds are hounds, their natural instinct is to follow any scent trail or chase any perceived prey. A well trained dog will immediately stop what they are doing and come when called. They may not realize it is for their safety and protection, or because you love them, but it is absolutely essential. You wouldn't want them running into a busy street or scaring a child or chasing a rabbit until they were lost.

It is loving discipline and consistency that is required to get a dachshund, or any dog, to respond.

I'm really proud of these little ones:



And, they are always rewarded when they come promptly. : )

Seeing their many paths on our farm makes me consider my own path. I hope to faithfully follow any path the Lord places before me and I know that He will always accompany me along that path.

Prayers

I pray that we each will know the path the Lord would have us take. I pray that we will each faithfully walk that path and be a blessing to everyone we meet along the way. I pray that we can accept loving discipline when necessary, and that we always run to His loving arms when called.

I hope that you each have a wonderful upcoming week. I wish your path to be straight and sticker free ... and that you always find your way safely home.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NIV

Psalm 23:3
He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psalm 25:4
Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;

Proverbs 3:6
In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Acts 2:28
You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Your husband does beautiful work. My hubbie would love a lathe!

5:39 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Those nostis are beautiful! Thanks for the doggie pics. They really make me smile!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I would love love love one of those nostis! Ummm...particularly the dark (cherry?) in the middle???
email me details will you?
(((hugs)))

7:09 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

A good prayer for all of us! In this crazy frenetic world we live in, it is always good to "be still" and listen for that path!

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doodle is on the Web!
Beautiful work and lovely post!

Love you

7:06 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your husband's wood working looks great! You must be very proud of him :o); and he should be very proud of the work he does :o)

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous nostepins! and sweaters, too! the CIC folks are lucky to have your support.

8:47 AM  
Blogger L. said...

What lovely woodworking your husband does, Shelley.:)

I wish the very same clear path for you that takes you safely home, healthy and happy!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful post! Kim's wood work is amazing. I love the little sweaters, they just get better with each new project. The doggies look so happy in their world of "farm land." They are famous net dogs now. I am so lucky to call you sister! Love ya :-)

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your last line!

"I wish your path to be straight and sticker free ... and that you always find your way safely home."

Your posts are always thought-provoking - thank you!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Those nostepinnes are beautiful, i've only just found out what they are, and what they are for!

the jumpers are lovley too, gosh you knit so fast. What style of knitting do you do, the english (holding yarn in right hand) or the other style (holding yarn in left hand)?

I believe that the latter style is faster.

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have single handedly destroyed one of the most spiritual and healing services Medicare ever supported. Maybe you have better read those bible verses again - judge not lest ye be judged.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home