Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Afternoon Sky & Moon, Keeping Up, Knitting Experiment, Sockret Pal Goodies, & Prayers

Wednesday Afternoon Sky & Moon

Once again, I've missed Saturday's Sky, but I'm providing this afternoon's sky complete with the moon.


Keeping Up

Well, I'm trying! I'm talking about keeping up with electronic innovations....or my attempts to do so.

Kim, my wonderful husband of almost 27 years (just a few more days) bought me a wonderful anniversary and birthday present ... an iPod Nano!


I've got it figured out, for the most part. : ) I'm finding that I'll probably be using it primarily for podcasts. Podcasts are rather like listening to recorded radio shows...and there are many great ones to be downloaded for listening! Knitting podcasts, i.e. Craft Borg, and podcasts of all areas of interest.

Music listening is nice, but my favorite use is for listening to Bible study podcasts, most of which I've found HERE and daily Bible readings found on iTunes that originate HERE. Also, the audiobooks found HERE are too wonderful to pass up.

A cup of hot chocolate or tea, my knitting, and my iPod Nano and I'm set for some quality time!

Knitting Experiment

In the past weeks I've been busily knitting small sweaters for CIC. However, after a time, I developed a bit of hand soreness and decided on a different knitting project for a week, or so.

I'd had this idea rambling around in my head for a few months. Actually, since Rosemary and I first started talking about starting CareWool. So, as a bit of a kickoff project for CareWool, and a personal challenge, this week I decided it was time to cast on and see if I could do it. *It* is this:


Yes, this is knitting *6* socks at once on one long circular needle. I have always knitted 2 socks at once on one long circular needle, so I wondered why I couldn't knit more at once if I had a long enough needle. The picture above is the result of this thought rumbling around in my mind for a few months. : )

I did have witnesses to the cast on. Two knitting friends, Rosemary and Kay, were laughing at me as I attmepted to cast on without too much of a tangle...and when I looked up, I had become a form of amusement for other Borders customers and got a few questions as to what I was doing. I persevered and was eventually successful at mastering all 6 cast ons in the correct sequence. (whew!)

I'm knitting these on a 60" size 5 US Addi Turbo needle and using Marguerite's Mini-Basketweave Toddler Socks pattern. If I can manage turning all the heels, I think I'll have it made! : )

I'll report updates on the progress of the 6 little socks regularly. If this captures your imagination, or perhaps inspires you to consider knitting for children that are in need, please read the CIC website, join in the CIC Knit Yahoo list, and/or join us at CareWool.

Sockret Pal Goodies!

I must say that I have an *incredible* Sockret Pal! Look at all the goodies that were waiting for me at our gate! : )


Do I have the very best Sockret Pal, or what?! I am spoiled rotten with this fantastic box of wonderful things!

The box had a scrumptious scent from the cute candle in the beautiful votive holder when I opened the package. Everything was wrapped in pink and red tissue paper with a cute note. There is a beautiful soft pink and chocolate skein of yarn. Also, included were a hand knit pot holder in happy colors, two packets of wonderful teas, a cute handled basket with red hearts, some yummy Crunch Stixx, and two great flavored tubes of Chap Stick.

My Pal is the *VERY BEST* and couldn't have picked things any more perfect for me! And, I think I have figured out where my Sockret Pal lives...just look at this:


My Pal slipped up....look, the package was shipped from *Somewhere, USA*! : )

Thank you so very much, Sockret Pal!

Prayers

My heart has been a bit heavy this week as my grandmother's condition continues to deteriorate. Her clear thinking has given way to confusion and finding humor in matters that she wouldn't normally find funny. She is losing control of more of her bodily movements and functions, but thankfully at this point, seems no longer depressed or worried.

I am so very thankful for her taking my sister and I and caring for us as her own when we were small. She gave us a safe haven in a very stormy time and was our one source of consistent caring and love.

I find myself going from periods of feeling joy for her many long years and remembering her rocking me when I was small and scared as she would sing hymns, to feeling heavy sadness at her impending loss. I remember being gleeful when she would come to visit once we were again living with our parents. I remember thinking the world would surely end when she left. And now, my sadness grows as her health declines and her mind is growing dim.

I am leaning on the arms of our Heavenly Father and know that she will be with Him soon. I am comforted to know that I will be with her again some day and that we will both be in the presence of our Heavenly Father. Indeed, what a day of rejoicing that will be!

Many prayers have been answered for Susan. Her surgery to remove two brain tumors went well and took less time than the doctors expected. She is recovering and will be spending some time in rehab to regain physical strength. Please continue your prayers for her.

My prayer for each of you is that you no longer have doubts or skepticism about the Lord. That you realize His unending love for you and that you desire to follow Him more closely every day.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NIV

I John 4:4, 9-10, 18

4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am the proud owner of a new ipod nano. I'm having lots of fun going through my cd's putting lots of music on it. I'll leave a little room for podcasts!

I'm going to start a sweater for CIC tonight!!

I'm sorry about your grandma. Remember the good times!! I sometimes dream about mine and it's very comforting.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Woven Spun said...

i am so impressed with what you have done with those 6 littl socks thus far. I tried 4 once, got hopelessly tangled and never tried again. :) you'll have to let me know how the ipod goes. I will be getting one for the hubster for Christmas this year. It will come in handy should he be deployed in March like they are saying he will be.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the NANO! I know that you will enjoy it. Rick loves his. 6 pairs of socks at once. I am impressed gal! We were so lucky to have Granny! She saved our lives in more ways than one. She is indeed our angel. At this point, bless her heart, she is her own best entertainment! :-) Love you!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Dear Shelly, you have become such a friend through these blog posts and I want you to know that I will be praying along with you this week. My own Grannie has been a constant for me my entire life and I love her so. I know she is going to Heaven when the time comes and I will see her there, but the thought of her going is still hard, whenever the time should come.

So I will be thinking of you ;) With prayers...

4:22 PM  
Blogger katie said...

What a great post! I'm glad you like podcasts. For me,podcasts and knitting are starting to go hand in hand. I listen to a few weekly podcasts and they are like knitting insurance--I'll definitely get my knitting in if I listen to my podcasts.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

socks on circulars WOW, but 6 of them, double WOW! I do socks on dpns, and love doing them on the teeny 'cocktail stick' needles. I am trying to get hold of some Addi tiny 12 inch long circulars that are good for socks, but they are a little hard to get hold of in the UK, every one seems to want them, they fly out of the shops.
Remembering you and your Grandma.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

That is neat about doing 6 socks on one circ... I once had 2 pairs (4 socks) on a 47" needle, but I prefer working on 2 at a time otherwise it goes SOOOOOOO slowly... (tho little kid socks go faster)...

You didn't say what cast on method you used but you might want to check into the Turkish cast on & work toe up OR..also I find that short row toes go together incredibly fast..but that's because I've always found short row toes to be FUN! :)

If you need instructions for the turkish cast on, here's a couple of links:

http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/1/30/turkish-cast-on-tutorial.html

http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html

And here's a link for the short row toe up pattern...you can plug your own numbers in once you have an idea how the cast on for short row toes work:

http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

Sorry to hear about your grandma... my dad had Alzheimers, it was sad watching what happened to his mind as the years took over.

Cheers,
Jessica

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the socks, Shelly! Just think, 30 CIC toes warmed at once!

Also wanted to say that I truly appreciate the fact that you end each post with Scripture - I enjoy reading it so much.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a ton of socks! I'm not even sure that I knew they made 60" circs! I'm trying to jump on the charity knitting bandwagon. I just need to find 4 more hours for each day :) or maybe just a little more dedication!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I recently got an MP3 player - not an ipod, but does the same thing lol. I've got music on mine though, but have been thinking about trying to get some podcasts (if they'll work, I don't know since I don't have an ipod).

You sure got a lot of great things from your sockret pal! Lucky girl!!

Can't wait to see your progress on the 6 socks at once...I haven't even tried the 2 at once yet!

11:04 AM  
Blogger jae said...

Golly, shelly I hope your grandmother is doing ok. prayers to her ...

11:43 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Love the 6 socks at once! I have yet to master the socks on circs, but maybe after see you do 6 I can manage one! What lovely goodies from you pal too! Love the colors of that yarn!

4:17 AM  
Blogger April said...

I have not done two socks on one circular before so this blows me away. Please keep posting pictures of this during the progress as I find it fascinating!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Tandi said...

Cool Nano! I haven't checked out knitting podcasts in a while, I'll have to see what's out there.
Very brave on the socks! I'm stuggling with one at a time!
And what a gorgeous pal package! That sock yarn looks great.
So sorry to hear about your grandmother.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home