Thursday, December 21, 2006

Emerald Green, Sockret Pal, Knitting, Work Progress, & Prayers

Emerald Green

Well, I did my first yarn crockpot dyeing a few days ago. The yarn is all dried, and I think I had beginner's luck. I was shooting for emerald green yarn....and, I think I ended up with *emerald green yarn*. : )



There's a slight variation in the saturation of the color, but I rather like that. Rather than a flat, solid color, I'd call this a *nearly* solid. This is destined to become a CIC sweater. There are 478 yards of *almost* bulky yarn. This started out as Cascade Ecological Wool in the platinum, natural color.

I really enjoyed dyeing this yarn and plan on doing more. Thanks to Susan F. and Susan B. for the inspiration.

Sockret Pal

The Sockret Pal Swap has been the first knitting swap that I have joined. And, I must say, I have loved every minute of it.

I have loved choosing items and putting together packages for my assigned pal on the *send to* end. And, my pal that has been assigned to send to me has totally overwhelmed me with her generosity and caring.

I received another box the day before yesterday. I apologize to my pal for just now getting a chance to blog about this wonderful box of goodies! My husband brought it inside and helped me get through the tape....then I just couldn't believe it as I opened each item and saw each wonderful item.

Just look....it took 2 pictures to get all the items pictured:



Thank you again to my wonderful sockret pal. I'll cast on the sock yarn soon. The decorations are going up in our home tonight! I love the crocheted snowflake! Each item is special and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I feel I have made a very special friend out there somewhere, even though I don't even know your name yet.

Knitting

I'm still knitting mittens for Mittens for Akkol. I've also got a child's size 12 orange, raglan sweater on the needles for the children of CIC.

I've also almost finished the 6 socks at once on one long, circular needle. I apologize for the delay. I will be placing updated photos as well as a video on how to manage the 6 yarns at once on my blog in the next several days. : )

Knitting is very therapeutic and the activity of knitting has helped me through some of the grief in dealing with my grandmother's death....and especially with the hideous manner in which it came. I can feel that something productive and tangible is coming from my overwhelming grief. And, it is clearing my mind somewhat and keeping me motivated to see that changes are made and to see that those that have done this are held accountable.

Work Progress

My sister and I are continuing, undaunted, in our pursuit of justice for our grandmother. We are also continuing in our efforts of making this practice known and seeing that it is made illegal.

To choose to have a person euthanized that is awake and alert, is in no pain, and that desires to live, only as a matter of *convenience* or as a *money saving* measure is horribly tragic! To choose death for someone, rather than long term care options is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I know this is a difficult topic. I know it makes many uncomfortable. But, it must be faced! I have truly found out which friends were willing to go beyond their comfort zone to speak out against this, to read the facts, to be willing to listen or ask questions to join in the effort to stop this happening to innocents by the choice of relatives or those in control...for convenience, or to save money, or to listen to and choose to follow in action the story of *sending someone off on a journey*.

Some hospices (not all, by any means) encourage, solicit and advertise this service! There is no peer review, no consults, no second opinions, no review committee to keep ethics in place. One family member or person with power of attorney, a doctor willing to write the orders, and a hospice staff that feels they are helping someone on a *beautiful journey* can do this to nearly anyone.

The wheels of justice will turn. It is underway.

I so wish my relatives that chose to euthanize my grandmother had consulted with the clergy of their church prior to making this decision and choosing to have this done. Why didn't they consult my sister, or I? It was kept secret from us....because I believe they knew we would have strongly disagreed and never accepted this as any type of option. I wish they had looked at THIS BOOK, or THIS BOOK, or THIS BOOK. They will now have to live with their decision for the rest of their lives. I cannot imagine living with that. I care about them, but I truly hate what they have done.

Please click on the colored links in the paragraph above to see each book. They each strongly address the issue of euthanasia ... especially euthanasia by choice of others and when it is NOT the choice of the person to be euthanized.

These books include the legal aspects, emotional aspects, and a Christian view of euthanasia. I have ordered all 3 and have 2 of them in my hands already. I highly recommend them for anyone with concerns about these practices. They are well researched and written with clarity of facts.

Also, please click on the small picture of my grandmother in the sidebar above to view more information about STOPPING Involuntary Euthanasia.

Additionally, did you realize that hospices are such big businesses that some are now listed on the NASDAQ? Look at THIS. (This is NOT the hospice that euthanized my grandmother, so please do not confuse it as such. I do not know the practices of this hospice organization. I just noticed they were a company with stock investors.)


Prayers

My prayers this week are for each of you to have a wonderful and blessed holiday season. I pray that you are drawn closer to the Lord every minute of every day. I pray for those that have been ill to have health and wellness in the new year. And, I pray for you to be blessed with a bounty of friends and family every day.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NIV

Ephesians 1:3
[ Spiritual Blessings in Christ ] Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

I Peter 1:3-4
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fadeā€”kept in heaven for you,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is some truly GREEN yarn!
Love you,
Amanda

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some little one is going to get a very bright and beautiful green sweater. Your crock pot "yarn cooking" seems to work GREAT! I am anxious to see what other colors you "cook up!" Your sockret pal is awesomely good to you as well...I wish that our situation was different this holiday season. "Wishing" doesn't do the trick does it? It changes nothing. "Where an individual may distinguish between life and death - and may fully realize the difference between them, any medical killing against the person's wishes is involuntary. If, for example, a woman knows she is going to experience severe agony, and does not consent to death, euthanasia imposed upon her is legally, classed as murder. ...

8:33 PM  
Blogger jae said...

Shelly, what happened to your grandmother is deplorable and sickening to say the least.I truly hope your fight is victorious, if not only for her but for others too!

Your green yarn is fab. I really like the color, it reminds me of something, somewhere thats fresh and brisk and clean.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

The yarn is gorgeous Shelly! And congratulations, Proud Mama, on your daughters graduation ;)

Have a blessed and peaceful Christmas! Do you have any snow? Only rain here for us in Michigan!

Hugs, Cary

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Shelly!!!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your emerald green yarn turned out wonderful, and I can't wait to see it knitted up!

You were really spoiled - look at all those goodies your pal sent! You're a lucky girl for sure!

Your relatives will one day stand before the Lord and be accountable for their actions, including the choice they made with regard to your grandmother. I do hope they will seek His forgiveness (and yours). I wish you and you sister all the best in your pursuit in the euthinasia issues.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

WOW~ how did you get such a dark color. My colors always are always washed out.

What did you use?

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours Shelly. My thoughts and prayers are with you the season. Blessings to you.

Lillium

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sweetheart keeps finding more and more things that she is talented at. The yarn is a beautiful green with some varying shades. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like as a sweater.

It is hard to believe that we have a daughter who is a college graduate and a son who has his own successful business. Where are those little ones that were crawling around the house not too long ago. How time flies.

I love you Sweetheart and am very proud of you.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your yarn dyeing adventure! It turned out great.

On another note - I'm so sorry for what happened to your family! Words fail to express my horror that such things can occur in the USA.

You and your family are definitely in my prayers!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the green yarn. I want to try crockpot color cooking too! I pray for you and your sister in your fight. I know it won't bring back your grandmother - but may save someone elses. Have happy holidays and a wonderful new year.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Families are convinced by authoritative staff wearing white coats that it's time to "let them go." Staff and family members wink and lie to themselves and each other about what "letting them go" means. They know they are "planning" the death of the vulnerable, but they deny vehemently that they are "killing" them, just as mothers who have their babies killed will only say they "aborted" them but would never "kill a baby." Some cold-hearted staff may kill knowingly, but they don't let the families "served" know exactly what they are about.

Shelly does this say it all or what? EXACTLY what happened...It is documented EVERY WHERE if people will just look!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow! Love your green yarn! Beautiful! You are in my prayers in dealing with what happened to your preciouse grandmother!! I, too, have been touched by a similar situation in my past and it haunts me to this day. I admire you and your sister for your attempt to expose this type of heinousness!
God Bless You!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home