Sunday, December 17, 2006

Very Late Saturday Sky, A Graduate, Sockret Pal, Some Knitting, Thank You, Changes and Prayers

A Very Late Saturday Sky

This Saturday Sky is from a Saturday in November. I thought it was beautiful and decided to finally post a picture of it today.


Beautiful, huh? ; )

A Graduate

Congratulations to our precious daughter, Amanda! She's completed her degree and graduated yesterday from Oklahoma State University. We are so very happy for her and proud of her accomplishments! It was a wonderful day to be with Amanda, her hubby Ryan, and our son, Zach. As parents, we were just about to pop with happiness for each of them! We are *beyond blessed*. : )

Here are some pics. of graduation day...

Amanda on the giant, big screen at Gallagher-Iba Arena about to receive her diploma -


Amanda waving to us up in the stands -


And, some knitting that helped me with being a nervous Mom at graduation -


Congratulations, Sweetie! : )

Sockret Pal

My dear Sockret Pal sent a box of goodies a couple of weeks ago. I apologize to my pal for not posting my *Thank You* earlier. The box was perfect and really touched my heart. Here's a picture:


I love the little yarn/sheep figurine. It brought a big smile to my face. There's also the wonderful book that I have started reading. The lotion is wonderful and perfect for keeping my hands soft while knitting in winter. The yarn is scrumptious, and the stickers are too cute. I already have plans for pictures to fill the little magnetic frames! Also, the little sheep card was wonderful.

Thank you so much dearest Sockret Pal. I felt the caring in your gift box and it has indeed touched my heart. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed holiday season. : )

Some Knitting

I've been knitting a bit. It has been very therapeutic, soothing, and satisfying to be knitting mittens for the children in orphanages in Akkol, Kazakhstan. I'm not finished yet....many yet to be done.


CIC's current challenge is to knit for a sister charity, Mittens for Akkol.

I've also started a large, orange Raglan sweater for the older kids of CIC. The next CIC challenge begins in January '07, this time focusing on items for the older children. Even though I'm a bit early for the next challenge, it makes for a good occasional break from mitten knitting.

And, today in the crockpot....


This is in our older crockpot that is no longer used for cooking food. Now, it's cooking yarn! The yarn was a natural white/platinum color when it was first placed in the dye bath. I just *winged it* and mixed blue and yellow dyes to make green....and green I got! I'll post pictures when it's finished.

Thank You

I don't know how to adequately express my thankfulness to my friends that have called, written, emailed and just spent time listening to and talking with me recently. I appreciate it more than you will ever know. *Thank You* to each of you ... so very, very much.

Changes

Whether for good, or bad, change is often difficult. Lately, the changes in our society and world that I see have left me overwhelmed and saddened.

I know it is easier for many to ignore the issues at hand...and to look the other way. But, honestly, we cannot afford the luxury of doing that! By looking away from the things that are difficult, you are giving your permission for them to contniue. By not taking a stand, you are indeed taking a stand, and giving your nod to those that are doing horrible things that they may continue.

The loss of my grandmother by relatives *choosing* euthanasia by terminal sedation and dehydration resulting in death is deplorable. This change in the activities of hospice organizations is alarming, tragic, completely unethical (in my opinion) and frightening. Please take a stand....this impacts each and every one of us...and our loved ones.

My sister and I continue our work to see that this practice is made illegal. I cannot go into details, but our efforts are continuing and will not stop.

I have been watching many events recently...and more societal *looking away* from the difficult issues alarms me. Jack Kevorkian was parolled this week and will be released from prison next June. The recent vote on the Child Pain Awareness Act was defeated (where women receiving abortions at 20 weeks or later in pregnancy would have been informed of the availability of anesthesia that could be administered to the baby in utero to prevent pain during an abortion) by THIS VOTE. Do you notice a vote that is very close to party lines? (Even though over 50% voted to pass this into law, the needed 2/3 majority was not met....and it did not become law.)

I do believe in personal freedom and a person's right to make decisions concerning their own body. However, when *another person's body* is involved, well, that's where I draw the line. When the elderly, or the young, or the handicapped cannot speak for themselves...or are not allowed to speak for themselves....and if we choose not to speak up for them, then the world is turning right into wrong and wrong into right...and we are allowing it!

Please, take time to look at the HARD and DIFFICULT issues. Don't pamper yourself and stay in your comfort zone! Educate yourself and SPEAK OUT....please. Yes, these are difficult issues. But, if ignored, everyone will lose eventually.

Prayers

My prayers this week are for hearts and eyes to be opened. I pray for courage and conviction for everyone to become informed and let your voice be heard by your legislators and law makers. I pray for softened hearts for those that have hardened their hearts to the needs of others and a strengthened relationship with the Lord for each of us.

I also pray for a blessed and Merry Christmas season for each of you.

Your Friend,

Shelly

NAS

Jeremiah 22:3

3'Thus says the LORD, "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Shelly, What a wonderful post. I am so very proud of Amanda. Both her and Zach are such fine young people. You and Kim did a fantastic job and goodness does it show! I realize that we both have a very huge fight ahead, and fight we will. I took a quote from the movie "The Notebook" to sum it up....I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.

We are common women, living common lives but together we will face a most UNCOMMON situation. We both loved our Granny with all our heart and soul, so I guess in that ....we too have succeeded as gloriously as anyone. We will fight for her and in the end, I pray that it will be enough.

Love you dearly sis!

5:43 PM  
Blogger jae said...

Beautiful sky, huge congrats to your daughter!! you are a very proud mommie right about now huh?

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to see you posting again and a very big congratulations to your daughter!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Congratulations to your daughter, and to the parents who got here there! And what a cool Sockret Pal box you got!
(((hugs)))

1:05 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I cook yarn in my crockpot too!! Doesn't it work great!

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation...what an accomplishment.

I love the knitting pic as you are watching the graduation.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I have missed you. I have been praying for you and hoping that your life is getting a little less painful. Congrats to Mom and Dad on the Graduate! Job well done. What was her major?

4:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love that little sheep/yarn figurine - too cute!

The sky picture is very beautiful - God does some amazing work eh!

Don't forget to post your mitten picture over on the Knittin' Mittens KAL site so you can get your name in for December! You'll get some "extras" credits too because you have more than one pair.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you mom, here is your comment.

Love,
Amanda

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO good to see you post again. Congrats to your dear daughter. I've just got to try the yarn dying thing - it looks so cool. That little sheep is too cute.

For the eyes of the Lord look to and fro....

He knows.

Lillium

4:48 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Dear Shelly,
in response to your wonderful words left at my blog at the passing of Noah, thank you so much. I am aware of your loss and have been praying for you too.
God Bless and keep you.
love Susan

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home